AFCON 2019: Rohr's Choice of Francis Uzoho is not a Scrutiny of My Performance - Daniel Akpeyi - Lagos Explorer - Tourism | Business | Culture

Header Ads

  • Breaking News

    AFCON 2019: Rohr's Choice of Francis Uzoho is not a Scrutiny of My Performance - Daniel Akpeyi

    The first choice goaltender of the Super Eagles of Nigeria, Daniel Akpeyi, has said that the decision to rest him in their third-place game against Tunisia has nothing to do with criticism on his performance against Algeria but it was to create room for other keepers to participate in the tournament.

    Image result for Pictures of Daniel Akpeyi

    He expresses his opinion which falls in line with what the coach said about his squad selection for the third-place match.

    The Super Eagles’ coach Gernot Rohr has stated that he would select his squad from the list of players that have not played in the course of the tournament. He wants most of them to participate at least in the tournament.  

    He has opted to use Uzoho who has not had any time during this tournament unlike Ikechukwu Ezenwa who was the netkeeper in the match against Madagascar. The statement of the coach falls in line with what the first choice goalie is trying to say.

    “It is a coincidence that Francis Uzoho is going to be starting when my performance is under scrutiny again just like it was when we played against Argentina in a friendly game like two years ago,” Akpeyi told Goal.

    “I remember that two days before that friendly game with Argentina in Krasnodar, Russia, the coach had called me and informed me that he would like to use Uzoho also in that game. He said I would be starting the game while he would replace me in the second half.

    “I know that Nigerians will start saying that this is another mistake from me and that the same goalkeeper is replacing me.

    "Even though I made a mistake which resulted into one of Argentines’ goals, my substitution in the second half was based on what the coach had told me with before the game that I would only take the first half but it was twisted to mean that it was because of the goals I conceded.”

    Despite not being chosen to secure the goal post he is confident that the Super Eagles of Nigeria would emerge victorious over Tunisia.

    “I have always believed in everybody in the team that we can beat Tunisia,” he added.

    “We have a good team no matter what the criticisms are. We failed to qualify for two consecutive Afcon and it was the same set of players that Nigerians are clamouring for now that played those qualifiers.

    “But we were able to qualify this time and even got to the semi-final and still in the running for a third-place finish. It shows that young talents are evolving. I must commend the hard work of our coach who stated that everybody must get playing time here in Egypt.

    "Either I am playing or not, I still believe in the Super Eagles and I am more than certain that the Eagles will beat Tunisia to end the competition on a high note.”

    No comments

    Post Top Ad

    Post Bottom Ad